NOTE: Limestone Canyon is only accessible during scheduled docent-led rides and open access days. For a list of upcoming events in this area, go to http://www.irlandmarks.org/
As shown in the elevation profile below, here’s the route:
- From the Augustine staging area, go south on Limestone Canyon
- Go left on Limestone Spur
- Take the Limestone Ridge up, which is a narrow single track running along a fence most of the way and which eventually turns into a fire road.
- Turn right at the Cactus Canyon intersection.
- Go left on Limestone Canyon; the “Sinks” will be coming up on your left soon.
- After the sinks, take your first right (East Loma). You’ll see an old water tower on your right.
- At the next intersection, Box Springs, go left.
- At the next intersection, a short spur off to the left leading into the trees is Box Springs.
- The fire road will eventually turn into a single track.
- Once at the top of the single track, you’ll reach the East Loma fire road again. Turn right, and complete the loop back to Box Springs.
- Back at the original split by Box Springs, go left and then a quick right on the road you came in on from the Sinks.
- Go left on Limestone Canyon, and take that all the way back to the staging area.
At the fire road, and turn right.
Here’s an elevation profile of this route:
And here’s a TOPO map of the area:
The route described above is a tough one as most of your climbing is done on single tracks – some portions of which you’ll have to walk. To make this trip much easier (and probably more enjoyable), do the whole route in reverse.